Today’s the big day.


Budget plotted. Appropriate financing secured.


It’s time to drive off the lot behind the wheel of that used car you’ve been saving up for.


The deeds are signed. Keys in hand.


But what a lot of Australian car buyers aren’t aware of is the fact that even when it comes to the purchase of a used car, the Government demands a piece of the action.


That’s right. To transfer the registration on a used vehicle in NSW, wherever you have purchased it from, the motor registry charges a transfer fee and stamp duty.


As of 1 July, 2019, the registration transfer fee within 14 days of acquiring a vehicle in NSW is $34


If it is made on time. Within 14 days of acquiring the vehicle.


Put it off, and that price leaps to $149.


Stamp duty is more or less a 3% tax that’s calculated at $3 per $100, or part, of the vehicle’s purchase or market price. Whichever is greater.


So, for a car evaluated at $20,000, you’re looking at a stamp duty of $600. On top of the $34 transfer fee.


We like to make sure people are aware of what the Government charges for the transfer of used vehicle registrations. Because it can influence the amount of money you loan from the bank.


Anticipating the transfer fee and stamp duty expense, and factoring that figure into your overall repayment budget, means you’ll know exactly how much to borrow.


A word of warning though, if you have purchased privately, you may be charged more than the above. Some people are entitled to concessional registration (see below in regard to pensioners) and when you transfer the rego into your name, and you are not entitled to the same concession, you will have to pay the pro-rata shortfall on the rego fee.


Now that you’re well aware that a rego transfer is necessary, and know roughly what it’s going to cost, it’s time to answer a couple of other questions surrounding the process.


Because we promise, by the time you’re done reading this, you’ll know everything there is to know about transferring the registration on used cars in NSW.



Where Do I Go To Transfer Registration?


14 days.


That’s all the time you’ve got from date you take possession of your used car to get that rego transferred.


Otherwise, you’re looking at the potential of a hefty late transfer surcharge.


You can either transfer registration online or in person at your local Roads and Maritime Services registry.


Once the seller or dealership lodges a Notice of Disposal, an incredibly simple one-page form that can be submitted quickly and easily online, it’s up to you whether or not to go digital or transfer your rego in person.



Online Registration Transfer


The internet has simplified many tasks that were laborious to accomplish once upon a time.


Transferring your vehicle registration happens to be one of them.


The first step is creating an online MyServiceNSW account with the NSW Roads and Maritime Services. This can be done in a few minutes here:


Once registered within their system, rego transfer is really quite simple.


You’ll need:

  • The vehicle’s NSW registration plate number
  • Vehicle purchase date
  • Purchase or market price of vehicle; whichever is higher
  • Credit card payment for the transfer fee and stamp duty
  • Pensioner details (if applicable)


Once logged in to your MyServiceNSW account, it’s a simple matter of clicking on the “Transfer Online” button, entering the above details, making your payment and printing a receipt.



Transferring Your Registration in Person


If you plan to make your transfer at a registry or service station, the first thing you’ll need to do is complete an Application to Transfer form.


The Application to Transfer form is a simple, four-page document requesting basic information like your name, driver license number, plate number, seller information, etc.


You’ll also need proof of identity.


This could be a NSW photo driver/rider licence or NSW Photo Card that is either current, or has expired within the last two years.


If you’re unable to produce a Photo Card or licence, you’ll need an original copy of one document each from the following two lists:

List 1

  • An Australian full birth certificate showing parental details issued by a Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriage. Historic Certificates issued in 1987 and 1988 are also acceptable.
    • Commemorative certificates are not acceptable. A standard Birth Certificate is issued with a Commemorative Certificate as a package, this is the only certificate accepted.
  • An overseas birth certificate showing parental details, provided a passport or an official Australian travel document is also shown
  • A current Australian passport or one that expired within the last two years. Validation with the Australian Passport Office may be required for passports issued within the last two years. Passports that have been cancelled for any reason, are not accepted
  • The following travel documents issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade:
    • A current Certificate of Identity
    • A current Document of Identity
    • A current Titre de Voyage
  • A current overseas passport. Passports that have been cancelled for any reason, are not accepted
  • An Australian naturalisation or citizenship document, issued by the Australian Government
  • The following documents issued by the Australian Government:
    • A Visa Evidence Card
    • A Document for Travel to Australia (up to five years from the date of issue on the accompanying visa)
    • Evidence of Immigration Status (EIS) ImmiCard
    • Permanent Resident Evidence (PRE) ImmiCard
    • Residence Determination ImmiCard (RDI)
    • Australian Migration Status (AMS) ImmiCard
  • A Roads and Maritime issued NSW photo driver licence or NSW Photo Card that has been expired more than two years, but less than five years. The licence must display a card number and not have been revoked or reported as lost, stolen or destroyed
  • A current photo driver licence from another Australian state or territory, or one that expired within the last two years. If your interstate licence shows your middle name(s) as initial(s), you’ll require another supporting List 1 or List 2 document that shows your full name
  • A current photo identity card for the NSW Police Force, excluding civilian staff or family
  • A current consular photo identity card, issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.


List 2

  • A current green or blue Medicare card, Pensioner Concession Card, Department of Veterans’ Affairs entitlement card or any other current entitlement card issued by the Australian Government
  • A current plastic credit card or account card issued by a bank, building society credit union, American Express or Diners Club International, showing your name and signature
  • A passbook or account statement or letter up to 12 months old, issued by a bank, building society, credit union, American Express or Diners Club International, as long as it includes the following:
    • Customer’s family name and first given name in full
    • Customer’s residential or mailing address
    • Account number or account type
    • Financial institute letterhead or financial institute branch stamp.
  • A telephone (landline only), gas or electricity bill up to 12 months old
  • A water rates, council rates or land valuation notice up to 12 months old
  • A current student identity card displaying your photograph, issued by an Australian secondary school, TAFE or university. Where a student identity card has an issue date but no expiry date, it may be accepted up to two years from the date of issue
  • Evidence of enrolment at an Australian secondary school, TAFE or university up to 12 months old, on the institution’s letterhead and showing your name and address
  • A current Mobility Parking Scheme (MPS) permit issued by Roads and Maritime, with or without a photo
  • A current Roads and Maritime issued NSW photo Firearm, Security Industry or Commercial Agents and Private Inquiry Agents operator licence
  • A current photo identity card for the Australian Defence Force, excluding civilian staff or family.


You’re also going to need to show proof of registration entitlement. And that could be any one of the following documents:

  • Certificate of Registration, renewal notice or other registration (NSW, interstate or overseas)
  • Motor dealer warranty form
  • Motor dealer sales contract
  • Proof of purchase; letter, bill of sale, receipt, tax invoice
  • Notice of disposal
  • Financial agreement
  • Termination agreement
  • Court order from finance company
  • Statutory Declaration
  • Proof of Registration Entitlement form
  • Written advice from a solicitor (trusts)
  • Letter from NSW Trustee and Guardian (trusts)
  • Will or Probate document (deceased estates)
  • Letters of Administration (deceased estates)
  • Written advice from the executor of an estate (deceased estates)


With forms and paperwork at the ready, all that’s left to do is make your payment.


This is where those pensioner details come in handy again, as there are certain stamp duty concessions available to eligible customers.


Vehicle registration is a necessary evil. The Government demands their cut.


But the money does go towards the repair and maintenance of our roads. Plus treatment and support services for people injured in transport accidents. So it’s ultimately not that bad a deal.


Yes. It’s money out of pocket.


But now that you know what to expect and when to expect it, hopefully transferring rego on the next used car you buy will be a piece of cake.

4 Back to blogs